I didn’t come from a family of bakers but this is one recipe we make once a year—usually on special occasions like Christmas! This is called the 7 Layer Square. My mom and I have made them many times together and she got this recipe from her mother. There are many recipes out there just like this one but the one I am about to share with you is my favorite—it is a very simple but delicious sweet treat. Here is our 7 Layer recipe:
- Preheat oven to 325°
- Melt ½ cup of butter in microwave until fully melted.
- Pour the melted butter over 1 and ½ cups of graham crumbs
- Mix butter and graham crumbs together.
- Layer 1—Spread over a 12” x 8”baking pan (evenly distribute over pan ensuring the corners are filled). Now you have your first layer!
- Layer 2—Pour 1 cup of shredded coconut over the graham base.
- Layer 3—Pour 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips on top of the coconut.
- Layer 4—Pour 1 cup of butterscotch chocolate chips over semi-sweets.
- Layer 5—Pour 1 cup of pecans or walnuts over the chocolate chip layers.
- Layer 6—Pour ½ cup diced maraschino cherries. (I normally don’t use these—your preference).
- Layer 7—Pour 1 and ½ cans of Eaglebrand condensed milk. Don’t forget the corners!
- Bake at 325° F for 30 minutes
- To see if the 7 Layer Square is done, check for a bubbling center and golden brown edges.
- Let cool before serving (if not serving right away it can be frozen for up to 3 months).
This recipe is super tasty; I hope you all love them as much as I do!