A few months ago, I stumbled onto my new favorite cheesecake: A Grapefruit Cheesecake. I love the zesty taste of lemon, lime, and grapefruit. These citrus flavors are so bright and refreshing, taking a heavy dessert and lightening it up beautifully! The delicate hints of grapefruit make you savour each bite!
Wanting to apply the skills from school I tried this recipe out for myself. The result? Glowing reviews and immense positivity from my family.
The recipe, not too difficult to follow, is listed below. Try it yourself. Let me know your thoughts have fun experimenting with different ideas!
*Note: let ingredients settle to room temperature
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup + 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup grapefruit juice
- 1 teaspoon grapefruit zest
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 grapefruit, segmented
- 1 teaspoon crystallized ginger, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Put a kettle or medium pot of water over high heat and bring to a boil. Wrap the bottom and sides of a 10-inch springform pan with plastic wrap then in foil. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together graham cracker crumbs and 3 tablespoons sugar. Stir in melted butter. Press into the bottom of prepared springform pan. Set aside.
- Beat cream cheese until smooth. Add 1 cup sugar, sour cream, grapefruit juice and zest. Beat until evenly mixed.
- Add eggs, one at time, beating on low speed after each addition. Add vanilla extract and beat to incorporate. Pour over crust.
- Place springform pan into a roasting pan and pour boiling water into pan until halfway up the sides. Bake in preheated oven for 60-70 minutes until center is set but still jiggles a bit. Remove from oven. Cool completely then refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving.
- Top with grapefruit segments and a sprinkle of crystallized ginger, if desired.
I think this cheesecake would be best enjoyed on a bright summer afternoon with the fresh flavours matching the freshness of summer!
If you are looking for some great recipes to try check out http://www.yummly.com/